Oh breakfast. Why are you such a pain in my rear end? I almost always wake up feeling ravenous, but finding something that is both quick and healthy in the morning is almost always a challenge.
That's why I adore easy make-ahead breakfasts like overnight muesli. The following recipe is just one variation of the simple method used to make muesli - soaking oats in yogurt. Try substituting the yogurt for any flavor you like, or trading the strawberries for another fresh fruit. Plain yogurt may also be used. If needed, a dollop of honey will add just enough sweetness.
Strawberry Lemonade Overnight Muesli
Makes two 1-cup servings
- 3/4 cup lemon yogurt
- 3/4 cup strawberry yogurt
- 1/2 cup whole oats, divided
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries, diced
- 2 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds
- Place each flavor of yogurt in a separate small mixing bowl and add 1/4 cup oats to each. Stir well.
- Layer yogurt, strawberries, and hemp seeds in glass jar or other food-safe container.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for 8 - 24 hours.
- Serve cold. A splash of milk or cream may be mixed in if a thinner texture is preferred.
What are your favorite breakfasts to make ahead and enjoy on busy mornings?