A six ingredient plant-based dessert made with fresh juices and turmeric!
The bright and cheerful taste of citrus loves being mellowed out by smoother, earthier flavors. In this simple sorbet recipe, I blended tart orange juice and sweet carrot with an unexpected twist of turmeric. This recipe is very easy to make – using a quick simple syrup made with water and sugar and a blend of fresh juices.
Any of the main ingredients can be easily swapped out for another juice. Lemon, yuzu, or grapefruit would all make delicious variations of this recipe. You can even try trading the turmeric for a pinch of ginger or cardamom.
Orange Carrot & Turmeric Sorbet
Makes about 2 pints
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric (dried or fresh)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Combine water, sugar, and turmeric in small saucepan and bring to boil, whisking occasionally to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about five minutes.
- Allow sugar water to cool to room temperature, then combine with juices. Cover and chill in refrigerator for one hour.
- Churn in ice cream machine according to instructions or for about 45 minutes. The sorbet will be finished churning when it becomes uniformly firm and pulls away from the sides of the barrel.
- Transfer to air-tight food container or ice cream pint containers and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Serve cold!
I hope you'll enjoy making this sweet frozen treat! Sorbets, like this one, make a great addition to brunch menus. (Hello! Easter brunch is coming soon!) They can also be used to make cocktails, top waffles, or garnish fresh fruit salads.