This hearty soup did a great job of peeking his interest. With three kinds of flavorful cheeses melted right in, and a sprinkle of cracked peppercorn dressing the top, it was easy to sway him. Serving this tasty soup with some crunchy parmesan crisps (find the recipe here) makes it even better.
Cracked Pepper & Parmesan Butternut Squash Soup
Makes about 6 1-cup servings
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 1 large onion
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/4 cup shredded gouda
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- cooking oil, as needed
- Preheat oven to 375F. Remove seeds from squash, rub with oil, and place on baking sheet. Peel onion, slice in half, rub with oil, and place on sheet. Roast for 60 minutes.
- Allow ingredients to cool, then combine with chicken stock in blender and puree until smooth.
- Put puree into sauce pan and bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce to low and continue to simmer as you slowly whisk in shredded cheeses. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with parmesan crisps or croutons.